Monday, November 13, 2006

Kurt Vonnegut / Getting old

I was just reading a Wikipedia article about Kurt Vonnegut.

As far as I am aware he is the greatest living American novelist. He was born in 1922. He is getting old.

That Wikipedia article has a quote:
The Army kept me on because I could type, so I was typing other people's discharges and stuff. And my feeling was, 'Please, I've done everything I was supposed to do. Can I go home now?' That's what I feel right now. I've written books. Lots of them. Please, I've done everything I'm supposed to do. Can I go home now?
Historically most human beings died long before they were adults and most people reading this consider themselves to be adults. We are all getting older. Slaughterhouse-Five, Or the Children's Crusade is his masterpiece. It is about the futility of free will. Does Billy Pilgrim really have a chance? Do any of us know what fate has in store for us? It is also about not giving up and doing the best with what life gives us. Relax and be happy. I agree with the basic premise that life is already written. Some of my biggest struggles have been against walls that I did not have a chance of getting over. While other things that I did manage to overcome were things freely provided at birth to some others. Of course, there are billions alive today who did not have the level of privileges that was provided to me. So I have little reason to cry over my fate. One can observe with open eyes though and hope for the best. And so it goes. Do good.

No comments: