Sunday, October 08, 2006

NotSorry.com - a brief history

I have had the dream that I invented the web blog... but of course I did not. Perhaps I should have though. 

I have been fooling around on the Internet since early 1996 and making personal web page dairies at NotSorry.com since May 1999. It is finally time to put some of my Internet effort into blogging. HTML web page development is such a nineties thing to do. There are many things on my web pages that I always intended to update. I have had the recent thought that it might just make some snarky updates and remarks here instead. 

It is interesting to look back on my early efforts. I was living in Armstrong, British Columbia when I made my first web page. Things that seemed to took forever are now just so easy. I remember downloading some early wisiwyg editors. On my old 286 processor PC I found that a person would fall asleep waiting for the pages to render. So I soon learned to do a lot of my creation on basic text editors. I still do most of my html coding that way. 

And the picture editing! I would send slides film off to Seattle Film Works and they would return the slides and scanned images on floppy. I was using an 2600 baud modem to surf the net, so would load pages without the images. Then if things seemed particularly interesting I would view the pictures. 

In my earliest web creation efforts I put little thumbnail pictures on the page and linked them to separate pages that contained a larger version of the image. Unfortunately the linked image page was not much larger and generally in poor quality. My first publishing effort was my Armstrong BC page. It originally had many more poor quality photos but I have reduced it to just a few kept for old times sake. 

Eventually I got a digital camera and started carrying on my long range trips. In early 2000 I made a round the world trip with camera and mini-laptop computer. It was an educational experience trying to upload via modem from Japanese radio stations and to recharge batteries on a Russian train trip. During this period my pictures became more interesting and I started the Whats-New pages. I thought though, that 250 by 250 pixels was a huge picture size and rarely went even that hi-rez on my pages. Examples are found on my Year 2000 trip pages.

No comments: